Saturday, March 29, 2008

sfdesktop FAQ

Q: Can I use this wallpaper with a single monitor?
A: You can, but you'll need to crop it and scale it down. Please see this article for info on scaling, cropping, aspect ratios, etc.


Q: Will you ever support other monitor sizes?
A: Right now, I'm primary focusing on 3360x1050 since this seems like the most common setup (and it's what I have!) You'll see some at 3200x1200 and even some at 2560x1024, but not too many. No other sizes are supported at this time.


Q: Can I request a specific SF wallpaper?
A: Sure! Just drop me a line and I'll see what I can do. My email is at the bottom of this FAQ.


Q: I have a cool San Francisco scene... can you post it here?
A: If it's already 3360x1050, just shoot it to me in e-mail and if I like it I'll post it (and give you photo credit too.)
If it's a different size, please prepare a version at 3360x1050 and blip it over.


Q: Will you ever do more than just San Francisco scenes?
A: San Francisco is the main focus, but from time to time I'll post other stuff if I can get a good stitch. For example, I'll be adding an entry from Grand/Bryce/Zion Canyons as well as one from Lake Tahoe shortly.


Q: What if I have two monitors that aren't at the same resolution? Will this still work?
A: The answer to this question gets complicated (and is different on PC vs. MAC) but I'll eventually write a detailed answer here. In the meantime, see Will Smith's MaximumPC article.


Q: I want to do this for another city, can I?
A: Sure! Why not? Once you do, drop me a line and let's talk about setting up a blog ring.


Q: What are some other cool multi-monitor wallpaper sites?
A: Here are a few. When I find new ones, I'll add them. If you have one in mind, comment here and I'll add it.
  • widewall is a cool blog with 3360x1050 wallpapers of weird images
  • social wallpapering is a cool social network where the community can rank and distribute hi res wallpaper. There's a dual monitor section, but I don't see 3360x1050 as a supported size.
  • drollthings.com has a couple 3200x1200 and 2560x1024 wallpapers
  • This site at Princeton has a bunch of 2560x1024 images.
Got more? Comment here and I'll add them.


Q: Are your original images or source stitches available?
A: Not right now. If you're interested in one, drop me a line, and I'll see what I can do.


Q: Do you accept donations?
A: Workin' on it :)


Q: How do I get in touch with you?
A: Drop me a line here: jg [at] johngreene {dot} org

No comments: